- In accordance with paragraph 24 (e) of Security Council resolution 1970 (2011) of 26 February 2011, I have the honour to report to the Security Council on the work of the Committee established by the same resolution. The report covers the period from 21 March to 21 May 2019.
- At the outset, I would like to highlight three developments relating to the work of the Committee.
- First, the Committee received the interim report of the Panel of Experts, pursuant to paragraph 15 of resolution 2441 (2018), on 2 May. Second, the Committee received an ad hoc report from the Panel on 3 May. A Committee meeting with the Coordinator of the Panel is scheduled for 31 May.
- Third, a member of the Panel of Experts, Mr. Moncef Kartas, was arrested and detained in Tunisia on 26 March 2019. Since that time, the members of the Committee have received five written notes and one oral briefing from the Secretariat with respect to this matter. On 18 April 2019, in my capacity as Chair and accompanied by the Secretariat, I met with the Chargé d'affaires a.i. of the Permanent Mission of Tunisia to the United Nations, as agreed during the informal consultations of the Committee on 15 April 2019. In its most recent written note of 13 May, the Secretariat informed the Committee that following a careful review of the information submitted by the Tunisian authorities to the Secretariat relating to the legal proceedings concerning Mr. Kartas, it reaffirmed the immunities enjoyed by Mr. Kartas, requested his immediate release and for the charges against him to be dropped. The Committee closely follows the situations and calls upon the Secretariat to keep the Committee informed.
- Mr. President, during the reporting period, the Committee concluded its consideration of two of the four communications previously submitted by Libya with reference to paragraph 8 of resolution 2174 (2014). In those two cases, the Committee determined that the items and services in question fell under the exception to the arms embargo contained in paragraph 10 of resolution 2095 (2013), provided that all of the conditions of the exception were met. The Committee also responded to a guidance request from UNSMIL related to the arms embargo. Furthermore, the Committee received three inspection reports, conveyed by the European Union, on vessel inspections conducted by EUNAVFOR Med Operation Sophia under the authorization provided by resolution 2296 (2016) and extended in resolution 2420 (2018). The Committee recalls the arms embargo established pursuant to Security Council resolutions 1970 (2011), 2009 (2011), 2095 (2013) and 2174 (2014) which obliges all Member States to take immediate steps to ensure full and effective implementation of the arms embargo.
- Regarding the assets freeze, no negative decision was taken by the Committee on a basic expenses notification, submitted by the United Kingdom, in connection with medical and related travel expenses for Ms. Aisha Qadhafi. A travel ban exemption request had previously been approved for Ms. Qadhafi.
- Also with respect to the travel ban, the Committee approved a second exemption request pursuant to paragraph 16(a) of resolution 1970 (2011) for Ms. Qadhafi. Furthermore, after receiving additional information from the Panel of Experts, as well as from Libya, the Committee determined that the travel of Mr. Abu Zayd Umar Dorda, from Libya to Egypt through Tunisia, on 17 February 2019, constituted non-compliance with the travel ban measure. While appreciating Mr. Dorda’s reported medical condition at the time of travel, the Committee would like to highlight that its travel ban exemption procedures allow for the consideration of cases of emergency medical evacuation. For individuals also subject to an assets freeze, the Committee would like to highlight that the Council has provided for exemptions in paragraph 19 of resolution 1970 (2011), and that the Committee has elaborated corresponding exemption procedures in its Guidelines. The Committee has written to the three countries in connection with Mr. Dorda’s travel and has received a response from one of them.
- Thank you, Mr. President.