Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
(Check against delivery)
- The Sahel Alliance is an important step towards advancing the development and stability across the Sahel region. The goal is to support the civilian pillar of the regional alliance of the G5 more quickly and effectively through increased coordination and mobilization as well as integrative approaches to security, stabilization/ humanitarian support and medium to long-term development cooperation. Regional challenges can only be tackled through regional solutions - only if we all work together can the nations of the Sahel achieve their full potential. Without security there will be no development and without development perspectives for the youth no security.
- With the Marshall Plan and initiatives such as Compact with Africa, Germany is shaping its cooperation with Africa in a new dimension and quality. Germany has a very longstanding history of cooperation in the areas of employment, agriculture, governance and especially decentralization/basic services, with a total volume of some 1.014 billion euros for the period 2017 to 2020.Germany as a founding member of the Sahel Alliance sees great prospect in this partnership. We are very pleased to continue our work with both our international and national partners inside the region.
- Together with the G5 of the Sahel region, the members of the Sahel Alliance have identified six focus areas in which cooperation should be enhanced. These areas are: youth employability, agricultural development, energy and climate, good governance, decentralization, and security. We assign great importance to all six focus areas. Only if the challenges in the six areas are addressed as part of a comprehensive and integrated approach of security, stabilization and development, can we achieve lasting improvements across the entire region.
- Effective coordination, common projects with our G5 partners and regular exchanges and commitments among partners (between the Sahel Alliance and the G5) will be key to tackling these six focus areas successfully. Only if we work together can we make sure that our support is better targeted, that it is more effective and more rapidly delivered.
- That is the reason why, together with our French partners, we co-founded the Sahel Alliance. We are convinced that the Sahel Alliance is the best forum to coordinate our joint effort and reach our common objectives - having also in mind the sheer number of 21 Sahel initiatives – to effectively support the development and stability within the Sahel region